- Position: Communications Intern
- Organization: Girls Not Brides
- Duration: 1 semester.
- Sector: Women empowerment.
- $$$: A modest weekly allowance is offered to cover daily expenses.
- Place: London, UK.
- Application Deadline: May 14th, 2012.
Girls Not Brides is a new global partnership, initiated by The Elders, that brings together non-governmental organisations from around the world committed to ending child marriage. Girls Not Brides works to empower those seeking to end child marriage, to raise awareness of the harmful impact and potential solutions, and to call for urgent global action. Since Girls Not Brides launched in September 2011, more than 100 organisations from over 30 countries have joined as members.
The Intern will be part of a small secretariat based in The Elders’ office in London that coordinates, supports and promotes the Girls Not Brides partnership. The placement will be for 4-6 months, starting in May 2012. This is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual looking to gain in-depth communications experience and to be part of the growth of an exciting new initiative.
Applicants must be enthusiastic and well-organised, with a good eye for detail and excellent communications skills. You should have a proven interest in human rights, international development or the rights of women and girls.
Main Areas of Work:
- Work at Girls Not Brides is broad and varied. The Communications Intern will have the opportunity to gain skills and experience in the following areas:
- Media monitoring;
- Assisting with website content creation and management;
- Supporting, tracking, and analysing Girls Not Brides social media presence;
- Contributing to communications strategies around particular initiatives and events;
- Assisting with online community management;
- Logging communications materials and overseeing the communications archive;
- Desk research as required.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and qualities:
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- A good eye for detail;
- Well-organised and efficient;
- A good-team player;
- A willingness to learn and gain new skills;
- An inquisitive and analytical mind;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience in using social media and an interest in its impact.
If you speak fluent French or have experience using HTML, CMS or Photoshop, we would be keen to hear from you.
Eligibility criteria and terms:
- UK or EU university students or recent graduates are welcome to apply;
- Non-EU candidates must present a visa that permits a student placement;
- The internship is offered on a minimum 4 days per week basis;
- A modest weekly allowance is offered to cover daily expenses.
How to apply:
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter as soon as possible (and before 14 May 2012) to media@GirlsNotBrides.org clearly stating “Communications Internship” in the subject line.
We regret that due to the large number of expected applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.